The news site of Parkview High School.

The Parkviewer

Parkview Feels the Bern

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders leaves the West Wing of the White House after meeting with President Barack Obama on Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016. (Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)

TNS

TNS

Samuel Smith, Reporter

Radical socialism is in the air, and a lot of students at Parkview High School are feeling the Bern. Nine out of ten students asked in a random polling of the Parkview halls stated that they supported Bernie Sanders, and though this passion is surprising for many students, it’s also largely reflective of national trends. The polling agency Marist gives Bernie Sanders a 76% approval rating among democrats under the age of 30, and Bernie Sanders won the support of democratic caucus voters under the age of 21 in Iowa by a 70 point margin. Political analysts largely believe the strong difference between support rates of the youth and those over the age of 30 are a product of Bernie Sanders’ idealism, or belief that America should always strive for the best possible future, rather than Hillary Clinton’s inclination towards more pragmatic solutions.

Freshman Emory Williams said he supports Bernie Sanders.   “I feel as though people deserve to be more equal, and that’s one of the things he’s trying to promote. I also feel as though he’s less likely to charge students so much money,”  he said.

Though support for equality and cheaper education are commonly listed as reasons for students supporting Sanders, they aren’t the only ones. Alexis Smith, senior student and Cabinet member, was less serious about her reason for supporting Sanders. “He has really cool hair,” she said. Be it for policy proposals or cool hair, dozens of Parkview students will be able to express their opinion at the primary elections on March 15.

• Top Stories

A challenging new game experience

• Top Stories

First Time Donating

• Features

The army you’ve never heard of

• News

The spotlight is on PHS talent

• Parkview Feels the Bern

News

$40 Off Your Rent-A-Tux

• News

Buy Your Yearbook Now!

• Parkview Feels the Bern

Top Stories

Parkview celebrates Black History Month

• Parkview Feels the Bern

News

Scheduling

• Parkview Feels the Bern

Top Stories

Parkview Celebrates Spirit Week

• Top Stories

Yearbooks being sold during Lunch

The news site of Parkview High School.
Parkview Feels the Bern